Updated State Practice Act! All about the new Laser Certification rules for South Carolina Registered Dental Hygienists
As the use of laser as an adjunct to non-surgical periodontal therapy gains popularity for dental hygienists, professionals must keep an eye on the ever-evolving criteria and licensing rules. South Carolina established a new regulation for dental hygienists in 2021 regarding the use of lasers.
The South Carolina Board of Dentistry proposed and passed regulations allowing dental hygienists to perform laser therapies under the direct supervision of a dentist and “be limited to pocket disinfection at settings that preclude hard and soft tissue removal, except for incidental gingival curettage.”
The board also stated specific training guidelines that must be followed for South Carolina clinicians to legally implement laser into their practice. The rules state:
- Prior to utilizing a laser, a licensee must first successfully complete training that covers, at a minimum, laser physics, safety, and appropriate use of the laser.
- A licensee must also complete an interactive training that addresses operation of the specific laser(s) utilized in the practice.
- The initial training must include a minimum of 12 hours of instruction and must be obtained through a course provided or recognized by any of the following organizations (or a successor organization):
- (a) The Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA)
- (b) The American Dental Association (ADA) Continuing Education Recognition Program (CERP)
- (c) The Academy of General Dentistry (AGD) Program Approval for Continuing Education (PACE)
- (d) The American Medical Association (AMA)
- A dental licensee who has more than three (3) years of experience using lasers is exempt from the training requirements set forth in Reg. 39-9 provided that the three (3) years of experience is obtained prior to January 1, 2021.
At Dedicated Dental Hygiene, we are committed to the highest quality training that adheres to state-by-state requirements. Dedicated Dental Hygiene an approved AGD PACE continuing education provider and you will receive 12 hours CE and be laser certified at the completion of this course. We offer exclusively in-person and hybrid training courses. The hybrid course allows you to complete a portion on the coursework in the privacy and comfort of your own home or office at your pace. This format offers time to digest and comprehend the material at a speed that is comfortable for you. Our partial online/in-person course reduces these long days of study and skill acquisition and allow you to stay fresh to practice hands-on.
Many dental hygienists find immense value in the hands-on portion of our courses, and it complies with South Carolina’s requirement for interactive training. You will work one-on-one with our faculty and be provided quality time for assessment, guidance, and feedback.
At the completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Make lasers a production modality in your office
- Gain patient acceptance using key verbiage
- Properly choose settings for optimal patient care and outcomes
- Properly use a laser after guided instruction